- Jiwaji University, Gwalior, India, B.Sc. Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, 1995
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior, India, M.Sc. Microbiology, 1997
- Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India, Ph.D. Virology, 2002,
- Blood Systems Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, Postdoctoral Research, Molecular Virology, 2006
Amit Kapoor’s research is focused on determining the heath relevance of uncharacterized or recently identified viruses. Molecular characterization of these new viruses is the first step towards understanding their role in the pathogenesis of acute and chronic diseases. His senior research career began in 2001 with an investigation into the viruses associated with poliomyelitis-like illness in India. He observed firsthand how information on viral genetic diversity and pathogenesis could be used in the early detection of viral outbreaks and the successful prevention of fatal diseases. By effectively implementing metagenomic and bioinformatics approaches, Dr. Kapoor was able to identify several highly divergent viruses that afflict both humans and animals (see publications).
Determining the pathogenic potential of new viruses poses a serious challenge, as many known human viruses cause diseases in only a fraction of cases. Furthermore, many distinct viruses can illicit overlapping clinical manifestations.
Recently, Dr. Kapoor has discovered several novel animal viruses that—on a genetic level—are closely related to pathogenic human viruses. The molecular characterization of these novel viruses—that is, elucidating cell tropism and pathogenic host factors—will aid the development of tractable model systems for studying diseases caused by their analogous human viruses.
- Lyons S, Kapoor A, Sharp C, Schneider BS, Wolfe ND, Culshaw G, Corcoran B, McGorum BC, Simmonds P. Nonprimate hepaciviruses in domestic horses, United kingdom. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2012 Dec;18(12):1976-82. doi: 10.3201/eid1812.120498. PubMed PMID: 23171728.
- Phan TG, Vo NP, Bonkoungou IJ, Kapoor A, Barro N, O'Ryan M, Kapusinszky B, Wang C, Delwart E. Acute diarrhea in West African children: diverse enteric viruses and a novel parvovirus genus. Journal of Virology. 2012 Oct;86(20):11024-30. Epub 2012 Aug 1. PubMed PMID: 22855485; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3457132.
- Kapoor A, Dubovi EJ, Henriquez-Rivera JA, Lipkin WI. Complete genome sequence of the first canine circovirus. Journal of Virology. 2012 Jun;86(12):7018. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00791-12. PubMed PMID: 22628401; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3393582.
- Kapusinszky B, Phan TG, Kapoor A, Delwart E. Genetic diversity of the genus Cosavirus in the family Picornaviridae: a new species, recombination, and 26 new genotypes. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e36685. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0036685. Epub 2012 May 16. PubMed PMID: 22615791; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3353919.
- Burbelo PD, Dubovi EJ, Simmonds P, Medina JL, Henriquez JA, Mishra N, Wagner J, Tokarz R, Cullen JM, Iadarola MJ, Rice CM, Lipkin WI, Kapoor A. Serology-enabled discovery of genetically diverse hepaciviruses in a new host. Journal of Virology. 2012 Jun;86(11):6171-8. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00250-12. Epub 2012 Apr 4. PubMed PMID: 22491452; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3372197.
- Kapoor A, Mehta N, Dubovi EJ, Simmonds P, Govindasamy L, Medina JL, Street C, Shields S, Lipkin WI. Characterization of Novel Canine Bocaviruses and their Association with Respiratory Disease. J Gen Virol. 2011 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22031527.
- Kapoor A, Simmonds P, Dubovi EJ, Qaisar N, Henriquez JA, Medina J, Shields S, Lipkin WI. Characterization of a canine homolog of human Aichivirus. Journal of Virology 2011 Aug 31. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21880761.
- Burbelo PD, Ching KH, Esper F, Iadarola MJ, Delwart E, Lipkin WI, Kapoor A. Serological studies confirm the novel Astrovirus HMOAstV-C as a highly prevalent human infectious agent. PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e22576. Epub 2011 Aug 4. PubMed PMID:21829634.
- Kapoor A, Hornig M, Asokan A, Williams B, Henriquez JA, Lipkin WI. Bocavirus episome in infected human tissue contains non-identical termini. PLoS One. 2011;6(6):e21362. Epub 2011 Jun 28. PubMed PMID: 21738642; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3125170.
- Kapoor A, Simmonds P, Gerold G, Qaisar N, Jain K, Henriquez JA, Firth C, Hirschberg DL, Rice CM, Shields S, Lipkin WI. Characterization of a canine homolog of hepatitis C virus. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences U S A. 2011 Jul 12;108(28):11608-13. Epub 2011 May 24. PubMed PMID: 21610165; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3136326.
- Click here to see more publications.